2 sessions available: October 15, 2014 in Newton or October 22, 2014 in Boston Time: 8:30 – 10:00 AM
2014 has seen more rulings, court decisions and challenges to existing laws. Join our HR Division President, Lauren Brenner and Attorney Joseph Laferrera of Gesmer Updegrove LLP for an HR Legal Update to educate yourself on pertinent changes and interpretations in state and federal laws, NLRB decisions and EEOC guidelines, including:
- President Obama’s last 3 appointments to the NLRB were ruled invalid. What does this mean for recent NLRB decisions including Banner Health System’s ruling which severely hampered an employer’s ability to investigate workplace misconduct?
- NLRB’s recent rulings:
- An employer’s policy regarding inappropriate behavior in the workplace violated the employee’s NLRA rights
- Liking a Facebook page is considered concerted activity
- Derogatory employee comments on an employer’s Facebook page is considered protected concerted activity
- EEOC’s new pregnancy discrimination guidelines and ADA Accommodations for pregnant employees.
- Bullying in the workplace – in the wake of California’s recent bullying in the workplace training requirement, what are the obligations of employers even without a specific workplace bullying law?
- Next steps in the Affordable Care Act
- The recent FMLA decision and its impact for employers:
- What should an employer do if employees state they never received FMLA notice given the Mailbox Rule was dismissed by U.S. Court of Appeals?
- Expert testimony is not needed to prove an employee was incapacitated?
- The employee has used their FMLA time, and an employer cannot deny intermittent leave?
- 21st century documentation challenges:
- Cloud-based storage
- E-mails and other electronic documents
- Proper treatment of archives and back ups
Presenting this program will be:
Lauren Brenner, HR Division President of Telamon / HCR Group who has practiced HR both in-house for companies (including Jordan’s Furniture and Boch Enterprises) and consulting in a variety of industries, both for profit and non-profit on wage & hour compliance, compensation – including job descriptions & salary benchmarking, talent acquisition and on-boarding, employee relations & HR legal compliance, safety, training for managers including: HR Legal Compliance, Interviewing-Hiring Right, Effective Documentation and Discipline and Employee Anti-harassment.
Joseph Laferrera is a partner at Gesmer Updegrove LLP, and heads the employment department at the firm. He is also one of the firm’s litigation partners, and heads the firm’s data privacy and security practice area as well. In the employment context, Joe has extensive experience representing companies, the people they employ, and the individuals who run and invest
in them. His work often takes the form of counseling and training to minimize corporate exposure for discrimination or harassment claims; drafting, assessment and enforcement of employment, separation, non-compete, inventions and related agreements; negotiation of executive compensation packages; and dispute resolution.