A FORWARD-LOOKING TECHNOLOGY SERVICES FIRM OUTSOURCES ITS BOOKKEEPING SERVICES TO SUPPORTING STRATEGIES

Legacy desktop bookkeeping technology wasn’t the proper fit for a cutting-edge IT support provider that was growing fast. Supporting Strategies has used its industry-specific knowledge of bookkeeping and accounting software to create the customized online interface that Solarus Technologies needed.

Client Profile
Solarus was founded in New York in 2012 with the goal of raising the level of customer service in the technology services industry. The company provides “worry-free IT” through services such as computer installations, offsite backup, hosted email, proactive monitoring and network management.

Out of Step
As Solarus Cofounder and President, Matthew Nikravesh had seen the company increase its annual revenue by over 300% in five years, expand from one fulltime employee to 15 and open a second location in Miami. A desktop accounting system that had been suitable in 2012 was now obsolete.

Nikravesh hoped to solve the problem through an in-house administrative hire, but that didn’t work out. “We’d find someone who understood the financial stuff but couldn’t necessarily do the administrative tasks, or someone with the administrative background who couldn’t do the financial aspect,” Nikravesh says. 

Rather than commit to two separate hires, Nikravesh turned to Supporting Strategies. He wanted a bookkeeping services provider that not only was proficient in state-of-the-art technology (allowing Solarus to move its accounting files to the cloud) but also could deliver back-office support as needed.

Networking for Answers
A meeting with Cheri Giglia, Managing Director of Supporting Strategies | North Shore Long Island, set things in motion. “I was very impressed with her knowledge of technology,” Nikravesh says.

The challenge was to sync ConnectWise, the industry-standard software among IT service professionals, with QuickBooks Online, the leading software provider for in-the-cloud accounting. After reaching out for advice to her peers nationwide via the company’s in-house email support network, Giglia heard from Mark Wald, Managing Director of Supporting Strategies | Santa Monica. He recommended Wise-Sync, an app created for the specific integration challenge at hand, which enabled the development of a customized platform tailored to Solarus’ growing needs.

“We have 15 employees, but we support well over 2,000 computers,” Nikravesh says. “So with us, it’s all about gaining efficiencies through technology. That’s exactly what Supporting Strategies helps us do.”

A Clearer Financial Picture
Along with greater efficiency, Supporting Strategies has given Nikravesh new insights into Solarus’ financial structure. By reconciling all Solarus accounts from year one, then working with Nikravesh and Solarus consultants to revamp the chart of accounts, Supporting Strategies has helped create a more logical grouping of expenses related to IT-managed service providers.

The custom chart of accounts has also rendered the data in a more understandable context than before. “I know how to run my business, but if you can show me something in a graph or a chart, that helps me grasp things more quickly,” Nikravesh says. “Supporting Strategies has given me a clearer vision of my company.”

Ramping Up and Moving On
The move to the cloud coincided with an upgrade in Solarus’ customer service, including improved credit card processing and automated clearinghouse (ACH) capabilities. In addition, says Nikravesh, “My vendors have started emailing their invoices, and I can see everything all in one interface.”

I know how to run my business, but if you can show me something in a graph or a chart, that helps me grasp things more quickly. Supporting Strategies has given me a clearer vision of my company."
Matthew Nikravesh, Solarus Technologies CoFounder and President

Nikravesh estimates that the changeover is about 75% complete. Supporting Strategies will help conquer the remaining 25% through additional apps such as Fathom, which fine-tunes the ability to track key performance indicators. “That’s very helpful for me,” says Nikravesh. “I like having that level of visibility in my business. I can just log in and see everything in real time on the web.”

Better yet, Supporting Strategies has delivered the solution Solarus demanded at significantly less cost than a full-time in-house bookkeeper — all with no handholding necessary. “They’re not sitting right there in my office every minute of every day,” Nikravesh says. “But they’re a phone call away if I ever need anything. They’re very responsive.”

SOLARUS---#110-(2)-large[1].png
We have 15 employees, but we support well over 2,000 computers. So with us, it’s all about gaining efficiencies through technology. That’s exactly what Supporting Strategies helps us do."
Matthew Nikravesh, Solarus Technologies CoFounder and President
Download PDF Version